There are two types of Parent visas to Australia – Standard & Streamlined (Contributory) Parent Visa.

Streamlined Parent Visa (Contributory)
The Contributory Parent (Permanent Residence) visa category is processed much more quickly than the standard Parent Australian visa categories. This means that applicants for the Contributory Parent Australian visa will be granted a Australian visa more quickly than applicants for Standard Parent Australian visa categories who apply at the same time. The same basic criteria apply as for Standard Parent Australian visas: you must be the Parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen; who is settled in Australia for at least 2 years, and who is at least 18 years of age.

You must also pass the balance of family test: at least half of your children must be living permanently in Australia; or more children must be living lawfully and permanently in Australia than in any other single country.

The following children are counted in the balance of family test:

  • Children of both parents.
  • Children of previous marriages or de facto relationships of either parent, including adopted and stepchildren, and children in institutions.
  • Children whose whereabouts are unknown or cannot be verified are counted as being in their parents’ country of usual residence.

Children are not counted in the “balance of family” test if they:

  • Are removed from their parents’ legal custody by adoption or court order; or
  • Are stepchildren acquired as adults (that is, aged 18 and over) by a parent who is later widowed, divorced or permanently separated from the stepchildren’s parent.

You will also need to have an approved Assurance of Support (AOS).


An AOS is a commitment to provide financial support to the person applying to migrate so that the migrant will not have to rely on any government forms of support. It is also a legal commitment by a person to repay the Australian Government any recoverable social security payments made to those covered by the assurance. The AOS is in force for two years and covers the principal applicant and any family members included in the application.

The person giving the assurance must be an adult (aged 18 years or over) Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia. They will need to be earning taxable income at or above the income test threshold (see below); and also be able to provide a notice of assessment issued by the Australian Taxation Office for each of the last 2 financial years.

The person providing the Assurance of Support is required to have a minimum annual income of $30,806 evidenced by their income tax assessment notices for the last 2 years.

  • This amount is increased by the amount of children and dependents in the application.
  • The person providing the Assurance of Support can assure only 2 adults at any one time.
  • The sponsor and the person providing the Assurance of Support and the Sponsor do not have to be the same person.

Please contact our office for further detailed information on the Assurance of Support including the application forms, the fees & costs, timing, and supporting documents required to make a valid Assurance of Support.

The key difference between the Standard Parent visa and the Contributory Parent visa is the level of the second Government Visa Application Charge (GVAC) (payable before an Australian visa is granted) and the level and duration of the Assurance of Support Bond (AOS). Contributory Parent Visa applicants must be willing to pay a significantly higher second VAC as a contribution to their ongoing health costs. Note that these are Government fees only and these do not include our service fees that are additional.

There are two payment options for Contributory Parent visa applicants:

  1. Permanent Australian visa: AUD$25,000 second GVAC per person; or
  2. Temporary Australian visa: AUD$15,000 second GVAC per person which entitles parents to a two-year temporary residence Australian visa including Medicare access and work rights. During that period, parents may apply at any time for a permanent Australian visa at which time the remaining payment of AUD$10,000 is required.

The Contributory Parent visa category also requires a 10-year, AUD$10,000 AOS bond for main applicants and AUD$4,000 for adult secondary applicants.

Please contact our office for further detailed information on this Australian visa including the application forms, the fees & costs, timing, supporting documents and other requirements to make a valid Australian visa application for a Parent (Permanent Residence) Visa.