There are two types of Parent visas to Australia – Standard & Streamlined (Contributory) Parent Visa.

Standard Parent Visa
To apply for a Parent (Permanent Residence) visa to Australia you must be the Parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen; who is settled in Australia for at least 2 years, and who is at least 18 years of age.

You must also pass the balance of family test: at least half of your children must be living permanently in Australia; or more children must be living lawfully and permanently in Australia than in any other single country.

The following children are counted in the balance of family test:

  • Children of both parents.
  • Children of previous marriages or de facto relationships of either parent, including adopted and stepchildren, and children in institutions.
  • Children whose whereabouts are unknown or cannot be verified are counted as being in their parents’ country of usual residence.

Children are not counted in the “balance of family” test if they:

  • Are removed from their parents’ legal custody by adoption or court order; or
  • Are stepchildren acquired as adults (that is, aged 18 and over) by a parent who is later widowed, divorced or permanently separated from the stepchildren’s parent.

You will also need to have an approved Assurance of Support (AOS).

NOTE: Under Australia’s migration program, a high priority is given to children and partner applications. Parent Australian visa applications are given a low priority and all applicants for the Parent Australian visa classes can expect a very substantial wait (up to five years) before their applications are decided. Applicants seeking a much quicker Australian visa application process should check out the Streamlined Contributory Parent Australian visa.

Please contact our office for further detailed information on this Australian visa including the application forms, the fees & costs, timing, supporting documents and other requirements to make a valid Australian visa application for a Parent (Permanent Residence) Visa.